Re: ensuring SCSI drive is mounted correctly whether or not a USB drive is plugged in at boot-up time

On 01/19/2009 01:30 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Monday 2009 January 19 13:15:28 Arthur Marsh wrote:
I have a machine that boots from and IDE drive then finds an internal
SCSI drive after any USB drives are found.

The SCSI disk gets fsck'd and mounted fine if there is no USB drive in
the machine, but the mount -a process at start-up mounts the USB drive
in place of one of the partitions of the SCSI disk when the USB drive is
present.

I'd like to ensure that the SCSI drive always gets mounted properly at
boot-up time, whether or not a USB drive is plugged in.

Any suggestions?

Running Debian unstable, and wanting this to work with a stock Debian
kernel (ie I don't want to build the SCSI driver into the kernel).

Don't use device names that are dynamically assigned based on discovery order (e.g. /dev/sdxN).

Use /dev/disk/by-{label,uuid,id,path}, if possible; the stock Debian udev rules should create appropriate symlinks in these directories.

Failing that, write your own udev rule that reflects how you would identify the device based on what the kernel "sees" and what name you would like assigned to it.

Or UUID.

*Attach* your /etc/fstab (so the text doesn't wrap) so we can see what the problems are.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA