Re: package version numbers

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:46:32PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:42:26AM -0500, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> was heard to say:
> > There are several packages that, when I try to upgrade them, aptitude
> > tells me that doing so would break many other packages. For these other
> > packages aptitude says:
> >
> > 	Depends: libglib1.2 (>= 1.2.0) but it is not installable
>
>   What this means is that the solution to your dependencies that
> aptitude calculated didn't leave libglib1.2 on your system.  Probably
> the message should say "it is not going to be installed", not
> "it is not installable".
>
>   In order to give you a more specific answer I'd need to know what you
> were trying to upgrade and ideally see all the output from aptitude.

After reading Carlos Sousa's reply I was able to figure out a little
more what's happening. I get hesitant when aptitude tells me it wants to
remove programs that I use.

Anyway, I see that xmms is replaced by xmms2 and that qiv will upgrade
with libglib1.2ldbl. My only remaining problem is multi-gnome-terminal,
which is not in lenny. Why not? There are several reasons I prefer
multi-gnome-terminal to gnome-terminal:

1)  Though the gnome-terminal help page mentions it, the actual
    preference setting gives me no way to stop the cursor from blinking.
    I can't stand a blinking cursor!

2)  My prefered font, the one I've been using for years, neep, is not in
    the list of available fonts. It's in the xfonts-jmk package.

3)  Not really a problem, but a convenience. multi-gnome-terminal gives
    me the option to open a tab as root.

4)  multi-gnome-terminal has many other options that I've become
    accustomed to that are missing from gnome-terminal.

If someone could suggest how to solve those problems, I think I'll be ok.

--
"The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a
 different way." -- Dale Carnegie