How can I throttle down aptitude?

Greetings;

When aptitude is downloading packages it loads the network down so much that I can't do much of anything else that wants to get to the internet, either on the machine running aptitude or any other machine on the lan. Is there anyway that I can slow aptitude down so it doesn't monopolize the entire bandwidth?

I have already tried using ionice but it didn't make any noticeable difference.

I am running lenny on a P4 2.x GHz, 100 mps lan to Shorewall and a 768kbs link to the Inet.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dennis