Re: CMI8738 sound card - cannot hear sound in Lenny

On Friday 16 January 2009 14:13, Robert Canner wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 01:04 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Friday 16 January 2009 00:10, Robert Canner wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I've installed a CMI8738 PCI sound card (C-Media 8738) on my dual-boot
> > > machine. When I boot Windows, I can hear sound, but when I boot
> > > GNU/Linux, I can't hear any sound.
> > >   [... snip ...]
> > > ==
> > > $ uname -a
> > > Linux mercury 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 12 16:48:28 UTC 2008 i686
> > > GNU/Linux
> > > ==
> > > $ groups
> > > robert dialout cdrom floppy audio video plugdev netdev powerdev
> > > ==
> > >
> > > $ lspci -v
> > > 02:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738
> > > (rev 10)
> > >         Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio
> > > Device Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 209
> > >         I/O ports at b800 [size=256]
> > >         Capabilities: <access denied>
> > > ==
> > > $ cat /proc/asound/cards
> > >  0 [CMI8738        ]: CMI8738 - C-Media PCI CMI8738
> > >                       C-Media PCI CMI8738 (model 37) at 0xb800, irq 209
> > > [ ... snip ...]
> >
> > Hi Robert.
> >
> > Well the cards being detected according to /proc/asound/cards, and you're
> > a member of the audio group. The card is supported with the alsa driver
> > 1.0.16, which comes with Lenny, see below.
> >
> >  Module snd-cmipci
> >   -----------------
> >
> >     Module for C-Media CMI8338/8738/8768/8770 PCI sound cards.
> >
> >     mpu_port    - port address of MIDI interface (8338 only):
> >     0x300,0x310,0x320,0x330 = legacy port,
> >     0 = disable (default)
> >     fm_port     - port address of OPL-3 FM synthesizer (8x38 only):
> >     0x388 = legacy port,
> >     1 = integrated PCI port (default on 8738),
> >     0 = disable
> >     soft_ac3    - Software-conversion of raw SPDIF packets (model 033
> > only) (default = 1)
> >     joystick_port - Joystick port address (0 = disable, 1 = auto-detect)
> >
> >     This module supports autoprobe and multiple cards.
> >
> >     The power-management is supported.
> >
> > You may just need to open alsamixer in Gnomes terminal, and check the
> > sound levels, or for any controls that may be muted. the "M" key toggles
> > the mute/unmute.
> >
> > Running the command, "speaker-test" , without the quotes, should give you
> > some pink noise output from your speakers (CTRL +C to quit speaker-test),
> > if all the levels are ok, and nothing is muted that should be unmuted.
> > The usual controls that need to be up are, Master, PCM, Front, CD.
> >
> > I don't use Gnome, but KDE, but it's worth right clicking on Gnomes
> > volume control (top right), and see if anythings muted. I'm not sure if
> > it's a right or left click, but there should also be a button for the
> > mixer there as well.

> [...]

Hi Robert.

I'd try unmuting that synth control. Strange name as it is, it does have
control over sound output. Pull the slider down a bit before unmuting it,
just in case your ears get damaged.

If that does work, you may have to disable ESD in Gnomes audio settings,
otherwise it may grab /dev/dsp, preventing other audio apps playing directly
through alsa. I get the same with KDE's aRts soundserver.

Nigel.