Re: essential packages getting deleted when switching to testing libc6

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 01:51:11PM -0200, André Neves wrote:
> I had always used apt-get in my system, doing autoremove
> whenever it suggested there were unneeded packages installed. One day
> I ran aptitude out of curiosity, and well, it suggested to uninstall
> almost 300 unneeded packages!

since it was apt-get, and not aptitude, that installed these 300
packages, apt-get decided that they were wanted installs. But not
aptitude.

One can find in the mailing list archives reports of such cases, and
aptitude commands to convince aptitude that apt-get installed packages
are wanted packages (or are not, or some are but others are not).

However, it is might be that there is no difference for packages
installed since the time when apt-get got the "remove-unneeded" feature.

(I am talking about no difference in algorithm inside libapt, but note
that /var/lib/apt/extended_states is not the same file as
/var/lib/aptitude/pkgstates so that the [textual] databases to which
such an algorithm is applied are not the same)

When were the 300 unneeded packages installed?