Re: VLC not displaying video output

Robert Walter wrote :
> thveillon.debian schrieb:
>> Hi, if you're using debian-multimedia, go to the website and read the
>> news dated 18/06/2008, it explains the origin of the problem with vlc.
>
>> I'm running Lenny AMD64 and I "solved" it by installing vlc from debian
>> experimental: works like a charm here.
>

> Could you please explain, exactly which way you did it?
>
>> Tom
>

> Robert

Sure, I added

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ experimental main

to the sources.list. For some packages in there you'll need Sid sources too.

experimental as a "policy priority" of "1", so they won't get installed
if you don't explicitly ask for it, so use:

aptitude install vlc/experimental

or

aptitude install -t experimental vlc package2 package3

To have your experimental installed packages updated to the latest
version, and only those installed (nothing will be pulled from
experimental automatically in your system), add to /etc/apt/preferences
(to be created if not already there):

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 101

and "aptitude full-upgrade" will pull the latest and greatest from
experimental for the already installed packages.

That's all I did, and I'm happily running a Debian Lenny/experimental
(and a few bit of Sid sometime for dependency purpose). It's also a good
idea to create a /etc/apt/apt.conf to specify your default archive:

APT::Default-Release "testing";

To check which packages you've pulled from experimental :

aptitude search '~S~i~Aexperimental'

You should get familiar with "package pinning" and "apt-cache policy" if
you want to mix sources on a regular basis...

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

chapter 3.8, and

http://wiki.debian.org/AptPinning

Tom