Re: lvm2 boot failure

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:49:32AM +0100, Király László wrote:

>> instead of that root=/dev/vg/root you may try root=/dev/mapper/vg-root if your
>> volume group is called vg. otherwise i'm not suer what the problem could be.
>> you may try to use apped="root=/dev/mapper/vg-root" in the image declaraction.
>>
>> mk
>>

> I tryed it with root=/dev/mapper/vg-root but didn't help.
> The error message is the same: "mount:  mounting /dev on  /root/dev
> failed: No such  file or directory"
> What's now?
> How can I debug the problem?
> There is an easy way?
> Which mailing list is for me?

assuming you have the correct initramfs for your kernel with correct driver
for raid, you may try to pass "debug=y" to the kernel command line. initramfs
should pick it up and maybe output some interesting information before it
panics. most notably what device it tries to use for /root/.
otherwise you'll have to go through initramfs-tools scripts
(/usr/share/initramfs-tools) and add this info yourself, regenerate initrafs
and try again.
One problem I had once upon a time is, that for some reason initrafs couldn't
detect my root filesystem, so I had to add "rootfstype=ext3" to the kernel
command line.

mk