Re: Master/slave ??

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:42:27AM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

> This is not a Debian question....but I am running Sid.
>
> I am about to install a Sony DVD writer in my machine and would
> appreciate some advice.
>
> I already have a DVD reader and a CD writer installed.
>
> The reader is on its own IDE channel... the writer is slaved to the hard
> drive IDE channel.

Do you really want 1 x DVD reader, 1 x DVD writer _and_ 1 x CD writer?

A suggestion:

Assuming these are all IDE drives:

Hard disk as master, DVD reader as slave

DVD writer as master, CD writer as slave.

Rationale: Writing is data intensive: if you put the hard disk as master
on one and DVD writer as master on the other, then when you need to copy
from HD to DVD, there's no device contention on the same cable.

If you want to play back a DVD, then that's not so data intensive and
you'll be using the hard disk software to read it anyway, whether it's a
film or data.

If you need to copy e.g. a CD .iso image from DVD to burn a CD, then
you've either got a DVD reader reading relatively slowly, buffered and
mediated via HD programs -> CD writer or you put up with clobbering data
on one cable and bus to copy pretty much directly from master -> slave.

It's all pretty academic if you have a fast motherboard / fast
processor / large amounts of memory :)

> Should I just slave the DVD writer to the DVD reader??? or is some
> switching in order ??

AndyC