Re: extract package name given a filename

On 01/07/09 19:32, Jeff D wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:

Last time I ran debian was several yrs ago.. back then I learned a way
using dpkg to extract the packagename of files found on the
machine... Assuming they came in using apt and dpkg.

I even kept a note about it which of course is no where to be found
now that I need it again.

Anyone know how to find which package installed a give file?

something like this:
$ dpkg -S /bin/bash
bash: /bin/bash

Also:
$ apt-file search /bin/bash
bash: /bin/bash
bash: /usr/bin/bashbug
bash-minimal: /bin/bash-minimal
bash-static: /bin/bash-static

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.