Re: Partitioning and allocating a logical disk....

On Monday 2009 January 05 16:15:10 you wrote:
> Hello Stephen,
> Thank you for your prompt reply.
> Please forgive me, I actually have six 72GB drives and the second array is
> seen by the O/S as having about 203GB of space, sorry for the mix-up.

Ah, very good then.  That should be fine.

> And I
> believe you are correct, I used fdisk to create the partition, again my
> apologies, and currently there is no data on that partition so even if I
> needed to reformat the storage array and start over it should be no
> problem.

Run mkfs.ext3 again, and check dmesg afterward for any errors/warnings, copy
and paste them in your reply if possible.

> Just to be clear, I wish the mount point to be just "/secureftp."

Okay, make sure that directory exists.  What's the output of:
ls -ld /secureftp

> I just wanted to point out where I created the directory in case it makes
> any difference.

It doesn't make a difference as long as you are *consistent*.  You
can't "mkdir /home/secureftp", edit /etc/fstab to contain "/securedata", and
then mount with "mount -t ext3 /dev/cciss/c0d1p1 /secureftp" -- they all need
to have the same path to the point point.

> how can I now mount the storage array and make it
> available for data storage?

You seem to have the steps basically down:
1. Use the array-specific tools to create a RAID disk.  In you case something
that show up to linux like /dev/cciss/c0d1.
2. Partition that disk with fdisk (or similar tools).  This should make a
device like /dev/cciss/c0d1p1 appear.
3. Make filesystem(s) with mkfs.
4. Make mount point(s) with mkdir.
5. Edit /etc/fstab to tie the partition holding the filesystem to the mount
point.
6. Issue a mount command like: mount -t <fs_type> <partition> <mount_point>.

I don't have any experience with the cciss stuff in specific.  They might
require a reboot after step 1 or 2.

Watch for errors during the process.  Not just from the commands themselves,
but from in dmesg.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))