Re: Lenny: which arch for a Intel Core 2 Duo?

On Monday 2009 January 05 11:01:05 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon January 5 2009, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > If you have some extra diskspace, you can even do the install in a chroot
> > (debootstrap FTW!) and only reboot once it is complete, minimizing
> > downtime.
>
> so, in theory, if I had a spare slice of drivespace, I could do an amd64
> install, using the same /home partition I now have, and have the capability
> to go from I686 to amd64.. and back, it something broke..

Yeah, I've never done it x86 <-> amd64, but I did share /boot, /home,
and /usr/local between openSUSE 10.3 and Debian Etch for a period of time
(specifically, until I knew I hadn't screwed up the Etch install).

Note that sharing /home normally works (and was done decades ago), but some
applications don't "like" having two different versions trying to use the
same configuration files.

Usually, there's no data loss, but some settings might "go away" in OS X each
time you boot into OS Y (e.g. the name of the configuration option changed
and the newer version in OS Y keeps renaming it to the new name that the
older version in OS X doesn't understand) or applications might crash on
startup (e.g. newer version in OS Y writes a newer value that older version
in OS X doesn't handle).  In theory, there could be data loss, but it's never
happened to me.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))