Re: problem with SATA disk, difference between standard kernel and Debian kernel

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 03:00:41PM -0600, lee wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 05:56:25PM -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> > lee wrote:
> > > Well, how do you install on SATA disks when the installer can't access
> > > them? It still has the option to load more modules from a floppy disk,
> > > but I haven't had a floppy disk drive for years ... With no system
> > > installed, you couldn't create those disks anyway.
> > >

> > You should be able to load them from a USB stick. Maybe it's not fully
> > automatic, but you can switch in another console during installation,
> > mount the disk, and then direct the installer to load from that directory.
>
> Well, I don't have an USB stick --- though a card reader instead
> should work. But how/where do you get the modules? And how do you put
> them onto the USB device while installing?

A USB stick is a few Euro :) Go to the non-free archive for Debian
packages. Look for firmware-non-free packages. I've recently had to use
the bnx2 drivers for Broadcom ethernet cards.

Download the .deb on another machine. [Assuming you're using Linux
here].

Mount the USB stick - something like

	mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt

cp the .deb to /mnt

	cp /home/myuser/firmware-bnx2_0.14*deb /mnt/

	umount /mnt

Carry the USB stick across to the machine you need it on. Boot the Lenny
installer - at some point the dialog will tell you that you need
non-free modules and will ask you for a floppy/USB stick to load
the modules from.

Insert the stick when prompted. Remove the stick before the disk
detection/disk partitioning stage because it can mess up drive order if
the USB stick is detected before "real disks" and this then tends to put
the disk naming/numbering off by one :(

> These modules need to be available to the installer out of the
> box. It's not like I'd be using some unusual hardware ...

What is not unusual to you is unusual to other people :) The reason that
the modules are in non-free is precisely because they have licence
conditions or similar which prevent us putting them in the Debian
archive proper.

HTH,

Andy