Re: Transferring pictures from a digital camera (it was Re: Best software under Gnome)

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:27 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 01/01/09 19:59, Daniel Cliff wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Milan SKOCIC <milan.skocic@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> "F-Spot is meant to be an easy-to-use photo management
>>> application.  It allows for importing of your existing
>>> photo collections, tagging photos with identifiers,
>>> as well as doing simple edits of photos".
>>>
>>> Personally I use it and I'm satisfied.
>>>
>>> Milan.
>>
>> I just tried it out and it's pretty nice, but I would like something
>> more specialized to transfer the pictures from the camera to a local
>> folder. Does anyone know if there is something like that?
>> Specifically, I would like to:
>> _ delete the pictures in the camera after successful file transfer (I
>> guess most people normally do that in order to take new pictures,
>> right?),
>
> mv?  cut-n-paste?
>
>> _ rename the files according to some pattern (eg 20090101_001.jpg,
>> 20090101_002.jpg etc)
>
> jhead -n%Y%m%d-%H%M%S *.jpg
>
>> _ organize the pictures in folders conveniently (f-spot creates
>> folders based on the date the picture was taken, and sometimes it's
>> more convenient to have a folder like "New Year's Eve party").
>
> I'd use bash or maybe nautilus.

Thank you, Ron.
I wasn't familiar with jhead. Really neat.
You're right, there's nothing as powerful as the command line.
Perhaps it's silly, but transferring pictures is such a common task,
that the least you have to do, the better. By that, I mean plug in the
camera - get things done according to pre-configured settings and
minimal user interaction - unplug the camera.
I could write a bash script like you suggested, but if there's a
program that does that, why re-invent the wheel? :-)
(But don't get me wrong, I liked your suggestion!)
Thanks again,
D.