Re: update on printing problem

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 08:07:55AM -0500, Zach Uram wrote:
> I have exhausted every solution I could find :( As a last resort I
> tried running lpadmin to set the printer manually and I get that
> stupid ambiguous error message again, same one I got in the cups web
> interface. Does anyone know what this error message means and how  I
> can get my printer (HP Deskjet 960C hooked up to parallel port) setup
> using lpadmin:
>
> zu22@hal9000:~$ sudo lpadmin -h localhost -p HP -D printer -u
> allow:zu22 -P /rofs/usr/share/cups/model/hpijs/HP/HP-DeskJet_960C-hpijs.ppd
> lpadmin: Request Entity Too Large

I haven't been following this thread, but just to toss out a few
random thoughts...

Googling that error message seems to indicate it's from the web server;
adding CUPS to the google query gives some possible hints, e.g.,

    ... CUPS - Request Entity Too Large. If you get this CUPS error,
    it may mean that you don't have write permission to your CUPS spool
    directory ...

If you add your user to the lpadmin group it won't take effect until
you log in again.

In some cases running commands under sudo is not sufficient to give
root privileges to some of the arguments.  I don't know why that is,
but suppose it's a matter of how/when the command line is parsed.
In such cases it might work to become root and remove all doubt.

Here's a look at my cups spool on a working system:

    ken@denali:~$ sudo ls -ld /var /var/spool /var/spool/cups /var/spool/cups/tmp
    drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 2008-08-27 13:03 /var
    drwxr-xr-x  6 root root 4096 2008-12-05 14:36 /var/spool
    drwx--x---  3 root lp   4096 2008-12-29 15:42 /var/spool/cups
    drwxrwx--T  2 root lp   4096 2008-08-29 14:12 /var/spool/cups/tmp

Ken

--
Ken Irving