Re: hard crash on leap second

Bob Cox writes:
> These are all aliases for 0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org and so on.

That is how Debian and ntp.org have set it up.  It could change.  See
<http://www.pool.ntp.org/vendors.html>.

> It's probably best to use servers as close to you as possible...

Unless you have unusual requirements (you'll know) it really doesn't
matter.  It's just a few UDP packets per hour and just about any server
anywhere in the world will get you within 100ms.

> John - in your case it looks like your ISP is CenturyTel and they appear
> to have a timeserver running on ntp0.centurytel.net...

I prefer to use reliable sources.  Also, as Chrony maintainer I feel that I
should use my default configuration as much as possible.

> It seems that ntp4.ja.net is preferred to ntp0.zen.co.uk despite the
> longer delay, presumably because it's a stratum 1 server?

Look at the jitter.  The algorithm considers more than just the stratum and
the round-trip delay.
--
John Hasler