Re: Using old diskless machine as X terminal

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 11:07:00PM +0100, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 09:47:02PM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > Someone suggested I try smart boot manager on a floppy, to cause a boot
> > off CD-ROM.  But I can't get that to work.
> >
> > I've seen several suggestions for ways to make diskettes that will
> > either boot from CD or network.
>
> http://rom-o-matic.net/ is a useful service here.

I prefer to just build my own, from the sources of etherboot.
This is for booting from a local media and starting a PXE boot.

> > PXE booting requires an image to transmit.  Making the image looks like
> > another involved project.
>
> You don't need to create the image yourself, there are ready mades,
> e.g. from LTSP

Rather, PXE allows you to send just about anything over tftp. pxelinux
(of syslinux) provides you a standard boot loader that uses that meduim
to send e.g. the kernel and initrd.