Re: Cups Sharing Setup Problem - Resolved

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 09:08:52PM +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 16:01:04 -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > Two debian boxes - one lenny, one etch, each with its own printer  -
> > connected to the LAN and can ping each other.
> >
> > Problem: Etch box can use Lenny box's printer, Lenny Box cannot find or
> > stalls trying to use Etch box's printer.
> >
> > More precisely, if I run lynx localhost:631 on the Lenny box and tell
> > cups to find new printers it finds none and if I use cups to add Etch
> > box's printer using the correct ipp address it does so but when I try to
> > print a test page it stalls with the message:
> >
> > "recoverable: Network host '192.168.2.105' is busy, will try again in 20
> > seconds"
> >
> > Allowing for the different releases of cups on the two systems I believe
> > I have set up the two versions of cupsd.conf consistently.  hosts.allow
> > are also consistent.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to where the problem might lie?
>
> Try
>
> netstat -plant | grep cups
>
> (as root) on the Etch system to see which connections cupsd is actually
> listening to.
>
> Run
>
> tcpdump -i eth0 -n -p host 192.168.2.105
>
> on the Lenny box, then try to print the test page again; this should
> show you which connections the Lenny system tries to make to the Etch
> system and where things hang. (Replace "eth0" if you use another
> interface for your internal network.)
>
> Check your cups configuration, i.e. the DeviceURI given in printers.conf
> on the Lenny box and the "shared" status of the printer on the Etch
> system.
>
> --
> Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
>           Florian   |

Many thanks for these suggestions, Florian.  In truth I didn't get
through the tcpdump before the problem suddenly resolved itself - i.e.
the Lenny printer suddenly started printing the test page sent from Etch
yesterday.  I've printed out your message and will be ready if the
problem recurs.

Best regards,