Re: NFS boot with a dhcpless network

On 12/09/08 11:25, Micha Feigin wrote:
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 10:27:28 -0600

On 12/09/08 09:58, Micha Feigin wrote:
I want to setup three machines to boot over the network from an nfs root.
The network doesn't have a dhcp server (I prefer if it's possible to do it
without one) and the network card is only supported with newer kernels
(2.6.28-rc).

Is there a way to do it through grub or do I need to setup a minimal system
and boot from it?

Any pointers on how to set this up?
PXE boot seems like what you want, where the client's NIC requests the boot files from the server.

Or am I misunderstanding your questions?

Yes, theoretically that is what I want, but if I'm not mistaken PXE boot is
dependent on a dhcp server giving the machine an IP and declaring that it has
a boot image to provide, or am I wrong.

I want to give the ip as an option and use a given nfs server as a root, not
resolve these values at run time

Hmmm, yes, you're right. There's got to be a way, though, using bootp, MAC address and tftp, since that's how we did it 10 years ago with X Terminals.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?