Re: unbootable system after fresh 4.0r5 installation

On 2008-12-08 12:12 +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> Hmm, this is a little bit scary because I don't understand how the
> kernel choses the order of attaching devices.

This is a general problem with both SCSI and USB, AFAIK: the order is
almost random.

>  Can this be made static
> somehow?  I.e. can I somehow configure the kernel to always recognise
> the SCSI RAID controller as scsi0?

Maybe we have a udev expert on this list that knows how to write a rule
or edit an existing one for that task?  I'm not that person, if I can
manage my persistent-{cd,net}.rules I'm happy...

I guess you're best off using UUIDs or labels in /etc/fstab and
/boot/grub/menu.lst to make yourself independent of the ever-changing
device names.

Sven