Re: Better support for merging local and upstream (was: Erase cache, clean registry in Linux)

From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
> When a program uses a number of different configuration files, it's
> much more difficult for the administrator to configure it.

I'd say it's a matter of preference. I like exim's split configuration, it
makes upgrades easier as I only have to deal with the parts that I've
changed. And perhaps not even that, if I can make a change by adding a new
snippet file instead of changing an existing one.

For those who prefer a single file, debconf allows that, satisfying all
kinds of people. You can even dump debconf altogether and do all the
configuration yourself.

> Well, that already has been achieved to a great deal, hasn't it? Just
> packages like exim4 or apache2 that use an approach which makes it
> very difficult to impossible for the administrator to configure them
> break it.

That's your opinion. Do not take it as absolute.

I don't know about apache, but as I said, with exim it's quite easy to use
a single file, if you prefer it that way.