Re: Issues with PCF and BDF Fonts after regular lenny updates

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 19:24:52 -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 16:50:02 +0900 Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> > Now default font set are picked via fontconfig thing.
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch08.en.html#fontsinthexwindow
> >

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Your document definitely helped a lot in understanding fonts in debain.
> So now I tried configuring my fonts using fontconfig, which I assume
> means configuration through fonts.conf. So I have the following
> ~/.fonts.conf:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <!-- /etc/fonts/fonts.conf file to configure system font access -->
> <fontconfig>
>     <dir>/home/amitu/.fonts</dir>
> </fontconfig>
>
> But urxvt still can't seem to use the Dina font which is located in
> ~/.fonts.
>
> Any ideas?

It should not be necessary to refer to ~/.fonts explicitly in
~/.fonts.conf. This directory is included in the font path by default.
(You can check this with "xset q"; /home/$USER/.fonts should be listed
at the end of the font path.)

All that you should have to do is copy the fonts to ~/.fonts and run
"mkfontdir ~/.fonts". I do not know where to find the Dina font, but I
tested this with the snap font that you mentioned in your earlier mail:

$ fc-match snap
snap.pcf.gz: "snap" "Regular"

If this does not work then you have to check if bitmap fonts are enabled
on your system. Run "dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config" and make sure
that you answer "Yes" to the third question. You need to restart X to
see the effect of changes in the fontconfig settings.

If you do not want to enable all bitmap fonts then you can selectively
enable certain families in your ~/fonts.conf, for example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <selectfont>
    <acceptfont>
      <pattern>
      </pattern>
    </acceptfont>
  </selectfont>
</fontconfig>

The effect of this configuration is instantaneous on my system (no need
to restart X) and the snap fonts is found by fc-match even if bitmap
fonts are disabled globally.

          Florian   |