Re: insserv & encrypted /home

* Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> 03.12.2008

> I recently re-installed Debian on my laptop because I wanted to
> repartition my hard drive and use an encrypted filesystem for /home.
> Everything went quite smooth, but after installing and configuring
> insserv, I am sometimes unable to enter the passphrase needed for
> mounting my encrypted /home.
>
> Insserv parallelizes the boot sequence which results in a nice speed
> gain. However, the input prompt of /etc/init.d/cryptdisks is completely
> broken by that. I usually don't see the prompt at all, I can just see
> that the system sits idle, apparently waiting for me to enter the
> password. What makes this worse is that sometimes I cannot even enter
> the passphrase as the keys I type are echoed on the display and
> apparently do not go anywhere else.

Hello Jochen,

from "man insserv"

-----------------------------snip--------------------------------------
# Services which need to be interactive
<interactive>   boot.crypto

Names starting with a `+' sign are marked as optional.  If the service
with  the name after the plus sign is available it will be used, if not
available it is ignored silently.  Words beginning with  <  and ending
with  > are keywords.  Currently <interactive> is the only know keyword
for marking a service as an  interactive  one,  e.g.  a  service which
requires a passphrase or password input during boot or runlevel change.

I installed "insserv" for the first time a few days ago and I have no
encrypted filesystems, but I think with the above information it's
possible to find a solution.

Hth Michael

--
"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."