where are the data and log folders of postgresql 8.3 on debian sid?

I have installed postgresql 8.3 from debian package, and i'm reading
the official document from postgresql, the document says after
installing the database, it needs to create data folder and specify
log file to initiate the database, like this:
---------------
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
but i cannot find the folder in my debian installation, i think they
are at some location else, where is it? thanks

--
I'm a web developer using debian+mono(C#)+postgresql+xhtml+js+xsl+xml+css
homepage http://www.starliu.com