Re: question about a linux embedded router i have

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 16:25:04 -0700
"CJ Kelley" <debiani386@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> ive been searching for hours and found very little information, but what I
> have is a StepTech MAAT router which has linux embedded. Since DHCP is not
> enabled by default on this router, i have to statically address everything.
> I wonder if any of you would be able to help me because i dont have any
> documentation on this router and i do not know what the routers address is.

In what sense does dhcp not work? can you connect to the outside world? If so
then you need to have an address assigned to the local computer and a default
gateway (look at the output of route -n). The default gateway should be the
router (although they sometimes have different address for router access and
network access, in these cases the router needs to be disconnected from the
external network to be accessed locally).

> Additional Information:
> Serial Number: PA32000688
> Model: MAAT
>
> Everything powers up and it runs just fine (infact you can hear the little
> hard drive in there going)

I seriously doubt that it's a harddrive in there, these things are usually
solid state. Could be a fan, but those are rare also (it's usually air cooled
with no moving parts).