Can't build 2.6.5 kernel after Upgrade to Etch-and-a-Half

	I upgraded this system about a week ago and this is the
first thing that doesn't work at all. I had needed to compile
the USB serial driver in to the kernel so I originally did
make menuconfig

which gave me the errors you will see below. I then did make
mrproper to start clean and then make to see what I would get.
The first error is understandable as there was now no .config
after the make mrproper. Things then go from bad to worse.

3hydrogen#make
Makefile:405: .config: No such file or directory
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  UPD     include/linux/version.h
  SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-i386
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
scripts/kconfig/mconf.c:91: error: static declaration of 'current_menu' follows
non-static declaration
scripts/kconfig/lkc.h:63: error: previous declaration of 'current_menu' was here
make[2]: *** [scripts/kconfig/mconf.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [silentoldconfig] Error 2
make: *** [include/linux/autoconf.h] Error 2

	I am not sure what changed in the environment after the
upgrade, but this source all did compile before.

	Any ideas are appreciated.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer