Re: unbootable system after fresh 4.0r5 installation

Jukka Salmi <j+debian@2008.salmi.ch> wrote:
> I just installed Debian 4.0r5 on a i386 systems (Dell PowerEdge 2950).

>        Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
>        sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb

> At this point the system hanged for some minutes, until
>        ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
> was output and the BusyBox shell was executed.

> But indeed there is no /dev/sdb; there's only one (logical) disk
> present, /dev/sda.

I've also come across this, and it seems only to affect DELL 2950s. I've
not logged a bug because I couldn't work out /where/ (i.e. which package)
I should log it against.

You need to boot a Rescue CD [*] and change all occurrences of sdb to
sda in the files /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab. (At least, that's
what my memory suggests as I don't have my notes to hand.)

Chris

[*] Try http://www.sysresccd.org/ if you need a good Resuce CD