Re: PCI ethernet card from ebay doesn't work at all. Possibly fake, but which?

"A. F. Cano" <afc@shibaya.lonestar.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I needed a PCI ethernet card for an old P3 system and so I did some
> research to make sure it was supported and got the first
> one that showed up on an ebay search.  At least it was cheap.  The
> sellers all claim that they were RealTek (RTL8139D) and they are
> detected as such.  This is what lshw says:

Argh.  RealTek.  That might be your problem.  My mobo has a realtek on
it and it never works right.  I went and found a 3com 905c.  I just
checked google shopping and you can still find them for about $20.

It's a shame that all the mobos bundle such cheap crap.
Unfortunately, the bundling has killed the market for add-on NICs.  So
when the mobo ethernet is too sorry work, you are left with nothing.

--
Johan KULLSTAM