two apache config questions

First, when I start apache I get the following messages:

apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using niof.net for ServerName
[Thu Dec 04 10:13:28 2008] [warn] NameVirtualHost 69.17.2.49:80 has no VirtualHosts

I have several virtual domains setup in sites-available and
sites-enabled including niof.net which I consider to be my machine's
name. So evidently the startup got it right but how do I get it to
*reliably* get it right?

All the VirtualHosts are identified as 69.17.2.49:80 so why the second
message?

Second question: where can I set default Options that would apply to all
virtual hosts unless specifically overridden?

--
"All of us perform better and more willingly when we know why we're
 doing what we have been asked to do." -- Zig Zigler