Re: lynx and readme.gz

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 08:21:10PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> Sounds like you're
> talking about this section:
>
>   Security and Privacy
>   Cookies                          : [ask user__]
>   Invalid-Cookie Prompting (!)     : [prompt normally___]
>   SSL Prompting                    : [prompt normally___]

Yes, that's what I was changing, from "ask_user" to ignore them. But
the setting is not saved.

> If you have this in lynx.cfg
>
> ENABLE_LYNXRC:force_cookie_prompt:ON
>
> then the screen changes to this:

There's only: accept_all_cookies=off

> > Hm, I put that into ~/.lyncrc, with PREFERRED_ENCODING:all enabled
> > ("#" removed). Starting lynx in an xterm and following a link to a
> > gziped file brings up and archive manager. Doing the same on a console
> > makes lynx offer me to either download the file or to cancel.
>
> You can see (at least) part of the problem using lynx's -trace option
> (or toggling to trace with ^T).  Lynx should be sending a header saying
> what it's accepting, and the server will tell what it's sending.
>
> Beyond that, it's up to the server to recognize the content type,
> and for lynx to recognize what type of presentation to use.

Apparently it eventually recognizes the content type, that's why it
brings up an archive manager.

> > Hmm, interesting, I tried to display the same file with konquerer,
> > galeon and mozilla, and none of them displays it. But I'm pretty sure
> > that at least mozilla was able to display it when I tried last time
> > --- that can have to do with changing the data in my home directory.
>
> I tried firebox on the same file - didn't view.  So we may be talking
> about different cases.

Well, I had my home on different disks that I only recently
installed. That switched back from configurations you get by default
nowadays to configurations I had before.

Mozilla and galeon said application/octet-stream ... I don't know why
lynx eventually brings up an archive manager for that.

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm