Re: Q: List Policy

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 11/22/08 06:15, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> I thought kernel hackers were uber-geeks.  How can they not implement
> decent mail filtering?  If you use Mutt, you take upon yourself the
> responsibility to set up a server-side filter, and if you use a GUI, then
> setting up client-side filtering is trivially easy.

That's an interesting question.  I don't have any answers, but my best guess
is that, just like Debian will remain a no-CC zone, the Linux kernel MLs
have their own long-standing preferences.   Like the "don't attach stuff,
send them in the main body" rule, which AFAIK mostly exists because of how
many popular MUAs used to behave (and I have no idea if they still do.
Mutt, which I use, does the right thing to in-line attachments).

I did not start in this thread with this opinion, but after reading it, it
was pretty clear to me that to-cc-or-not-cc really is just a preference
thing, like vi-or-emacs.  Some of the reasons that make a person prefer one
over the other will be technical, but there are enough of them on both sides
to balance things out back into "it is just a matter of preference".

Like you can see in other replies to this thread, there are numerous
technical ways to make sure you will not miss a message (or have annoying
duplicates of it where you don't want them) with or without using Cc:.  All
solutions for either case (including the one I described) depend on
cooperation from your MUA or mail filtering/delivery setup, which translates
to "not universionally available".

As for the kernel hackers being uber-geeks, well, even if they were (I bet
many aren't), this wouldn't make them uber-mail-geeks.  There is a reason
why it was necessary to add a file in the Linux kernel Documentation/
directory about how to configure your MUA to not mangle in-line patches.  I
believe there is an interesting field of study there.

> (Of course, even if you use a GUI, if you are a geek you should
> implement fetchmail/getmail, an MTA, a spam filter and procmail or
> mailfilter and IMAP, so that you can switch MUAs as easily as you switch
> underwear, or even access your mail from across the LAN or even Internet.
>  But that's a different topic...)

As I said, not everyone thinks this is a worthy use of their time, even if
they have the skills to do it ;-)

  Henrique Holschuh