Re: Synaptic. Can't find where it saves history

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 21:10:46 +0100
Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

Hello Nigel,

> Yes I agree, but apt doesn't save any log's, and there is
> no /var/log/apt file. I know that aptitude, it you're using it, saves
> a log.

I use neither apt nor aptitude, and dates on file s in /var/log/apt/
indicate that they've been updated today, when I last performed an
update.

-rw------- 1 root root  5071 2008-12-01 13:14 term.log
-rw------- 1 root root  7185 2008-11-27 03:27 term.log.1.gz
-rw------- 1 root root 11529 2008-10-31 15:31 term.log.2.gz
-rw------- 1 root root  8789 2008-09-29 17:06 term.log.3.gz
-rw------- 1 root root 13154 2008-08-31 18:57 term.log.4.gz
-rw------- 1 root root 27682 2008-07-31 11:23 term.log.5.gz
-rw------- 1 root root 17488 2008-06-29 13:37 term.log.6.gz

The first being today's update, and others being relevant months data
archived.  Files listed in term.log tally with those that got updated
today.

> This is very puzzling, and have just posted to the synaptic mailing
> list about this hard to find history file.

You're not wrong there.   :-)

> This is all a bit academic, but it would be nice to find out where
> Synaptic's history file is saved on the harddrive.

Certainly, a definitive answer as to where the logs are would be nice.

{time passes}

And I see Thilo Six has provided one.  I'm puzzled now as to why I've
got the files listed above.

--
 Regards  _

Sign away your life