keyboard is not working with xtightvncserver on debian-arm

I have a Debian installation working on my Qnap TS-109. This computer has an ARM processor, and the Debian Version is lenny.

I need a VNC server. One that keeps the session open when I disconnect the viewer. It looks like my only choice is xtightvncserver. With the previous version of Debian (etch), which is running on my NSLU2, I use RealVNC server successfully (package name vncserver).

When I connect with my vnc viewer from my PC (either Xubuntu 8.04 or Ubutuntu 8.04 eeePC, with either vncviewer or xtightvncviewer), I cannot enter text with the keyboard. The display and the mouse works fine. When I enter text with the keyboard, I'm generating garbage characters on the remote end. For example, when I type 'q', I get 'l'. The 'enter' key doesn't work at all, and so on.

Has anybody else experienced this with Debian Lenny on ARM?