Re: ALSA sound recording frustration SOLVED (to a point)

On Monday 01 December 2008 11:19, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> On Saturday 29 November 2008 07:20 pm, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 14:11, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>
> > wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Hi Kelly.
> > >
> > > I did see the Etchnhalf 2.6.24 kernel when looking at synaptic. I only
> > > suggested the musix one, as I have it installed, and know it uses alsa
> > > driver 1.0.16. I'm on dialup, and didn't want to download the etchnhalf
> > > kernel, only to find that the alsa driver available on it was earlier
> > > than 1.0.16.
> > >
> > > Have you got the etchnhalf kernel 2.6.24 x86 installed, and could let
> > > me know which alsa driver version it is using? Otherwise I'll install
> > > it myself.
> >
> > I run Unstable, actually. But I see now that 2.6.24 uses alsa 1.0.15.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Kelly Clowers
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Using the MUSIX kernel solved the problem with the "sound card."  Sound now
> works--YIPEE!!!  Many thanks for all the good suggestions.
>
> Now I need to compile some kernel modules for VirtualBox so I need the
> kernel source.  Of course, it is not listed in synaptic, so now I'm in the
> position of rebooting between configurations that use sound and one where I
> can use VirtualBox.
>
> More suggestions?
>
> Mark

Hi Mark.

Nice that the sound is working now. I see that the linux headers are available
for that kernel. Would they be sufficient for what you need to do?

Kelly suggested the etchnhalf kernel, which has alsa driver 1.0.15, but I
couldn't get sounds with that one, although I used the AMD64 version of it,
rather than the x86.

Bit odd, as I have Kubuntu Dapper on the same machine, and had upgraded the
alsa driver to 1.0.15, and sounds work fine on that.

It may be worth trying the etchnhalf. The fact that it doesn't work for me,
doesn't mean it wont for you, and at least you can get the source for that
one.

Nigel.