Re: how to create an image of your debian computer hard drive for cloning

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:11:09AM -0700, Robert Robert wrote:
>    Dear All,
>    I was wondering how I could make a clone or image of my computer hard disk
>    that contains debian OS. I want to do this in order to make an exact copy
>    to another clean pc with no os at all. What complete free software can I
>    use for this ? Is there a manual some where on the net about this ?
>    thanks

I use dump/restore for this.

To create the image, issue the command

dump -0 -v -f image.dmp /

from the directory where you want the image to be written.

To write the image you first have to prepare a partition, mount it
somewhere and cd to there. Then you just do:

restore -r -f image.dmp

You then can take care of grub with dd, if required.

--
Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
	~ Ralph Wiggum