Re: [Debian-User] Partitioning Scheme

Javier Vasquez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to install a new Debian system.  Previously what I've done
> is to create 3 partitions (/, /boot, swap), but now that I have the
> oporttunity, I'd like to do things differently.  I was reading the
> Debian reference guide (the security part), and also openBsd
> partitioning schemes, and they both agree that having specific storage
> areas in different isolated sections (partitions in this case), would
> help a lot for security reasons, so that for example a section won't
> grow beyond its limits (inhibiting other pieces of the system to
> operate correctly), and also some speed reasons are argued as well,
> :)...

I personally don't see much reason for separating /usr, /var, or even
sub-directories of /var in a general purpose desktop system. Also, I
don't split /boot in its separate partition unless it's necessary (such
as when / is in LVM or some other thing not directly accessible to the
boot loader).

I'd certainly put /home in a separate partition, so you can reinstall
the system without losing your personal data. Putting /usr/local in a
separate partition is also interesting for the same reason (and /opt, if
you install software there).

It may also be interesting to use LVM, this makes resizing partitions
easier.

My scheme would be something like:

/ - 10Gb should be more than enough
/boot - 500Mb, if it must be separate
swap - depends, 1 or 2Gb
/usr/local - depends on what you intend to install, for me 2Gb are enough
The rest to /home (where space is never enough ...)

--
The soul would have no rainbow had the eyes no tears.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb