Re: Keeping more up to date than Lenny, safely?

Revisiting an old thread, for a correction. Cutting and pasting other conversations:

Ron Johnson wrote:

OP: >>  but at the same time i read the release notes for the new
OP: >> Ubuntu beta, and its really nice. I *want* Gnome 2.24 (the auto

Unstable is at GNOME v2.22.5

Find a released distro that has GNOME 2.24. (I'm not being flippant, but am totally serious. Many people change distros on a regular basis.)

> On 10/21/08 09:05, Mark Allums wrote:

>> First, sorry for bugging you, I wanted your opinion.

[snip]

>> Basically, I think I was wrong about GNOME being in transition to
>> 2.24
>> from 2.22 in Debian.  I must have been thinking of something else at
>> the time.  (*I* have some elements of 2.23 on my system, but it's not
>> from Debian. I think.  Sigh.  "Senior moments" in my early forties.)
>>
>> Remember when I asked you to call me on it when I am out of my head
>> about something?  This may have been one of those times it needed
>> doing.  It could well have puzzled some folks, and certainly misled
>> the OP.

[snip]

> We can't reply to, nor know, everything.  For all I knew, Debian Sid
> *might* have been in the midst of a GNOME 2.24 transition.
>
> Although I'd be surprised, given the push to get Lenny out, which is
> why
> OOo3 is will sit in Experimental for a while.

Debian does *not* have 2.24 available as a Debian package.  I was wrong.

Mark Allums