Re: live cd with lvm

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 17:55 +0200, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for a live CD with lvm on it. Or if you have a better solution,
> here is my problem:
> On 3 debian laptops with lvm, the root partition is too small. So I have
> problems when aptitude upgrade the kernel. I got the error message: no place
> left on device. Last time I  got around using tune2fs to change the
> percentage of reserved blocks. But on the last upgrade, it was not enough.
> As I understand, to change the size of a partition under lvm, it need to be
> not mounted. So, the problem for the root partition, and the need for a live
> cd. I also thought of moving some folder from the root partition to the home
> partition and to make a simlink, but I was not sure my knoledge were strong
> enought to do that;
> Any avice welcome.
> Thanks
> Thierry

You can hot add space to a lv, but not take space away from a lv.  So if
you have spare room on the disk, then you can just lvextend then
resize2fs (assuming ext3).

If you have no spare room on the disk, you will need to boot into say,
single user mode, umount some lv (say /home) and resize the fs smaller,
then lvresize smaller.  You can now add the unused extends to the small
root:  lvextend -l SOMEEXTENDSNUMBER /dev/VGName/LVName
resize2fs /dev/VGName/LVName

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser <damon@damtek.com>