Re: Debian Stole My Name!

Hi,

Short answer is "hal is accepted now for lenny d-i"

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:05:09AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 04:01:59PM +0800, paragasu wrote:
> >> maybethe debian installer do not permit you to use the username hal.
> >> Create any user. after the installer finish.. you can login and create
> >> user 'Hal' with
> >> adduser.. ;)
> >
> > hal package have changed ...
> > hal (0.5.7.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
> >
> >   [ Sjoerd Simons ]
> >   * New upstream release
> >   * debian/hal.postinst,debian/hal.postrm,debian/rules: Rename the hal daemon
> >     user to haldaemon (was hal)
>
> If debian-installer is still reserving  the name "hal"  for the hal
> package, then this should be fixed within debian-installer.
>
> Please file a bug against the "debian-installer" package.

Is this right package?  user-setup is the one I think.

Let's look in...  OP was using etch installer.

Available hal versions
Oldstable       0.4.7-3sarge1
Stable          0.5.8.1-9etch1
Testing         0.5.11-3
Unstable        0.5.11-5

As I understand,
0.5.7.1-1 = Tue, 15 Aug 2006
0.5.8.1-9 = Wed, 14 Mar 2007

Hmmm... this is odd.  There is no udeb either from hal package.  Let's
see ...

In pool directory of lenny installer iso, user-setup-udeb_1.20_all.udeb
has /usr/lib/user-setup/reserved-usernames

This one has haldaemon but changelog in source user-setup tells me

 user-setup  (1.17) unstable; urgency=low
   [ Colin Watson ]
   * Fix comment attached to passwd/user-default-groups.
   * hal was renamed to haldaemon in hal 0.5.7.1-1; Hal is also a reasonablyt
     common human name. Remove it from reserved-usernames.
-- Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>  Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:56:46 +0100

So this is fixed bug.  I doubts they will update etch installer just for
this fix.  If you know better, please pursue.

Osamu