RE: Question about Etch Installation

Unless you have no internet connection on this computer there is little point in using a DVD to install Etch. It's probably better to install using the latest net install CD the minimum and then get the extras you need using apt-get.

For example I installed from the Etchnhalf net install CD (no default package selection was installed) http://www.uk.debian.org/News/2008/20080726

Once the install was complete I added the extra packages I thought I needed on my desktop:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade (kernel update if available)

apt-get install x-window-system-core gnome-desktop-environment gparted powersaved synaptic

Some people would choose gnome-core but for me that installs too few packages meaning I have to do more work later. After above is installed I reboot and install the extra drivers (ATI driver, ALSA driver), software I need for a more complete system. Overall you will download much less then a DVD installer as you'll only be downloading what you and have an up to date system when complete.

There should be info regarding the packages included in the DVD in the ISO and possibly in the install documentation and Wiki http://wiki.debian.org/

--
Lalit Dhiri
Linux the root to no GPFs