Re: Installing Etch With TFTP: Linux starts, I/O Stops

On Thursday 09 October 2008, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I don't think the hardware is going to be the issue here.  I'm pretty
> sure it's a config issue.
>
> I have a Soekris Net5501 box I'm installing Etch on.  I'm hooked up
> to the box with a null modem cable for the console and it's also
> hooked up to my LAN.  I've setup a PXE boot on my DNS server using
> tftpd-hpa. The 5501 starts up and I get data on the console (I'm
> using either Minicom or the screen command to read/write to the
> serial port).  I do get the boot menu from the netboot, such as it is
> (since pxelinux seems limited to 15 columns of display) and when I
> get the prompt, I type "install" and Linux starts to load, including
> the long row of dots, then the screen clears and the cursor sits on
> the left side of the screen and nothing happens from then on.

I used a capture file and can add to this point: After typing "install"
which should start the Linux kernel and initrd.gz, I get this:

Ready.

After the "Ready." there is one character: 0x0A and nothing else.
That's when I always lose communication.  Nothing else appears, not
even gibberish, and there's no response if I try to type anything new.