Reading old cryptoloop encrypted files with Lenny

Hallo,

Many years ago I used to run Redhat 7.3, and I encrypted some
files using the cryptoloop API that existed back then.  Now
I run Debian Lenny and I find myself needing to retrieve some
of those files.  Does someone know if the modern dm-crypt
infrastructure is backwards compatible with the old cryptoloop?
I already gave it a try, but was unsuccessful.  If this is at
all possible, I reckon that some magic must be given in
cryptsetup parameters.  Does someone know which?

Thank you a lot for your help!
Jean