Re: Feature Set Docs

On Sun,05.Oct.08, 19:34:01, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>> File systems and hardware support are actually provided by the
>> kernel.  "Encryption" is a bit vague and network protocols... a lot
>> of them. What exactly are you looking for?
>>
> I'm looking for the docs for the purpose of understanding support for
> UFS/UFS2, IPV6, OpenBSD PF, ipfw, ipchains or other firewall, NFS version,
> and my AC97 sound chip.  I found a variety of blog-type comments on these
> things but I was hoping for something @debian.org which I would presume
> would be more authoritative.

UFS/UFS2: I see the ufsutils and libufs2 packages and there is also an
ufs kernel module, so I assume there is at least some level of support,
but they are only present in unstable, so I don't know if they'll be
part of the next release.

IPv6: should be supported out of the box

firewall: Debian GNU/Linux uses the built-in capabilities of the kernel
(netfilter). Iptables is used for configuring it, but many prefer to use
some kind of wrapper (ex. shorewall).

NFS: the nfs-kernel-server package is version 1.0.10 in etch and lenny
will probably ship with 1.1.2. The version in lenny claims to support
NFSv3 and NFSv4. The version in etch doesn't have this information in
the package description, I would try the README.Debian file.

AC97 sound chip: Linux has decent support for a lot of chips, but it's
impossible to tell without chipset manufacturer/brand/version and so.

In the end the best way to test would be to boot with a Debian Live
image.

> I am coming the the understanding that each of the packages that comprises
> a debian release is documented independently.  It seems that the bulk of
> debian documentation is 1) installation and 2) package management.  It also
> seems like the next best place to find documentation is TLDP.

Package specific documentation is either found in the package itself or
in a package named <packagename>-doc, if the size is significant enough
to warrant the split. In general the README.Debian file in
/usr/share/doc/<packagename>/ should be the first to check. A lot of
Debian specific documentation can be found in the wiki, where the Debian
Reference would be a good start.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)