Re: Wireless issues -- Lenovo R61 ThinkPad -- still cannot enable connection on boot-up ...

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 10:41:54 +0200, Ken Heard wrote:
> As Florian Kulzer suggested, I purged network-manager,
> network-manager-kde, network-manager-openvpn, network-manager-vpnc and
> the packages they depend upon, but which are not dependencies of any
> other packages, a total of 12 packages in all.
>
> I then added "auto wlan0" to file "/etc/network/interfaces" and then
> rebooted.  The boot process still did not successfully activate the
> wireless connection.  Syslog showx that it tried to by running
> "DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 'n'" several
> times and ultimately reported "No DHCPOFFERS received." and "No working
> leases in persistent database - sleeping."
>
> Activating a connection after failure to do so during boot-up, with
> "auto wlan0" still in "/etc/network/interfaces" is revealing.  First I
> discovered that running "ifup wlan0" returned "ifup: interface wlan0
> already configured".  So, ifupdown thinks the connection is activated
> even though it is not.

No, ifup says that the connection is configured, which means that it has
been assigned a logical interface and it is listed in
/etc/network/run/ifstate (no more, no less).

[...]

> All the foregoing raises the three questions, if not more.
>
> 1.  Why cannot the wlan0 be activated on boot?

It seems that the iwl3945 driver is still a bit rough around the edges:
http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi

I would try the "magic pre-up line" mentioned in the wiki.

> 2.  Why does command "ifup" report that the specified interface is
> already configured when it may not be?  It appears that it will say the
> interface is already configured if by finding the PID file, rather than
> actually testing the connection.

See above.

> 3.  Why, to activate an interface after an unsuccessful attempt, do I
> need to do what I have described above?  Surely "ifup" should be able to
> tell whether an interface is *really* connected, and act accordingly: if
> *really* connected, say so; if not, activate the interface and so report.

See the section "KNOWN BUGS/LIMITATIONS" in the manpage.

> I am inclined to think that these are bugs in the ifupdown application,
> rather than problems specific to my computer.

So what?

          Florian   |