Re: Trouble with USB printer

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 08:54:51 -0400, Christopher Judd wrote:
> Hi,
>
>      I have a USB printer, HP laserjet 1600.  I'm using lenny, with cups
> and the hpijs driver installed.  The printer used to work, although it
> would sometimes stop due to an error.  Restarting the printer usually
> got it working again.  Recently, probably after an upgrade, it stopped
> working altogether.  The printer is still detected, and if I print to
> it, the job is listed in kjobviewer, and shows up if I connect to the
> cups server (localhost:631), but the printer does not do anything, and
> the menu panel states "Ready".  I can still print to a remote printer,
> so I suspect it is a problem with the USB system, not cups itself.
> Does anyone have a clue as to what could be wrong, or how I would go
> about debugging this?

Did you restart CUPS after the upgrade?

Did you try to reinstall the driver for that printer? CUPS copies the
relevant PPD file to /etc/cups/ppd/ when a printer is installed; this
copy is not automatically upgraded when you get a newer version of that
PPD with a newer version of CUPS. Usually it is enough to start your
CUPS configuration frontend of choice, select the printer and then
choose the same driver again from the menu of options (the model/driver
name can change slightly with a CUPS upgrade). After you have done this,
check the dates in /etc/cups/ppd/ to make sure the file has really been
updated and restart CUPS. If it still does not work after that then you
should probably file a bug report.

          Florian   |