Re: procmail rule to filter debian-user

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:

>  If you aren't wedded to procmail for some other reason, then maybe
>  maildrop would be more to your liking, since it has a much simpler
>  syntax.  Here's my maildrop rule for filtering d-u mails:

> {
>       to "Maildir/.Lists.Debian.User.2008q3"
> }

For completeness, that's not much less complex (aka line noise) than
my procmail rule, and mine splits each debian list into its own mbox,
and handles newsfroup backscatter:

  # ------------------------------------
  # debian-${MATCH}
  #
  # The MATCH operator \/ matches whatever the regexp that follows
  # it matches.
  #
  :0
  * 1^0 ^X\-Mailing\-List:.*debian-\/[a-z.-]*
  * 1^0 ^Newsgroups:.*debian.\/[a-z.-]*
  * 1^0 ^Cc: debian-user@lists\.debian\.org
  {
    LOG="debian-${MATCH} - "
    :0:
    00.debian
  }

I've been recommending noobs try maildrop first for years.  Procmail
may be a howitzer where a shiv is needed.  :-)