Re: Home directories: local(fast) x remote(secure, available)

Am 2008-08-29 15:18:59, schrieb Joao Carlos de Lima Roscoe:
> Dear Srs,

???

> I have a bunch of machines (<20) and users (~15) working in a
> develoment facility.
> I like to keep home directories inside the server room - they're
> mounted via NFS.

Which is OK.

> This give me short times for disaster recovery, since the desktop
> machines can be
> recovered with partimage, and all relevant data is in the server room,
> where all
> machines are redundant, are under close supervision, and so on.

I do the same...

> In the downside: NFS is not as fast as a local filesystem (we've got
> 100Mbit
> ethernet, only), and from time to time this costs me something.
> Beagle, for
> instance, is not feasible for home directories this way.

I suggest you to upgrade to a GBit network.

I have here a minimum of 80 MByte/Sec using NFSv4 with

samba3.private.tamay-dogan.net:/home /home nfs rw,bg,hard,intr,tcp,vers=4,rsize=16384,wsize=16384 0 0

in the /etc/fstab on the workstations

> I'm considering to move the home diretories to the desktop machines, for
> performance, but the users will have to keep their desktops running even when
> they're away from their desks (in the lab, or telecommuting, for instance) the keep
> their homes available. Also, it will be necessary to extend the backup procedures
> outside the server room. In fact, I would have desktop machines acting as server
> ones, while running outside the controlled server room, and I really don't like it.

Realy crap!

> What do you, gurus out there, think about that? Any suggestion? Does anyone know
> about some kind of home caching solution or something?

Even CHEAP (!!!) 36port GBit Switches with TrendNet Cards will give  you
at least  40-50 MByte/Sec.  Using  a  professionel  switch,  which  cost
arround 800 Euro, and  Intel  GBit  Desktop  Cards  give  you  the  FULL
performance of 80-100 MByte/Sec.

I stronly recomment to this upgrade since you are working in a profess
sionell environement

And even if you want like to upgrade all, install in  the  Servers  GBit
Cards and use a GBit switch.  and let the workstations be on 100 MBit.

This schould work perfectly too and reduce costs enormeous.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)