Re: problems with madwifi and Atheros AR5418

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:06:10 -0700
"Kevin Mitchell" <kevmitch@gmail.com> wrote:

> When you run dhclient without arguments, it tries to get an ip address
> on any of the interfaces listed with /sbin/ifconfig minus the lo
> interface. If you take a look at that output with the ath9k module
> loaded, you'll see a "wmaster0" interface. My understanding is that
> this is a kind of abstraction layer from which the wlan0 interface is
> created. Thus, trying to get an ip address directly on it doesn't
> work. Of course wlan0 should get an ip just fine provided your
> associated to an AP with dhcp. If that message disturbs you, you could
> try runnning "dhclient wlan0" so that it only tries to get an address
> on wlan0 which is all you really want anyway.
> Kevin

Thanks.  I understood what you have explained; my perplexity concerns
the fact that even when dhclient is called on the actual interface
(wlan0, or eth0 as renamed by udev), not on wmaster0, I still get those
warnings.

Celejar