Re: Unable to xm console into a virtualized server with Xen and Etch

Thomas <iamkenzo@gmail.com> writes:
> dom0 uses Debian Etch with a custom made 2.6.21 kernel provided by my
> webhosting company Ovh. I cannot make any changes to dom0.

?  I thought that Xen0 support was only in 2.6.18?

> My domU is installed using debootstrap and runs Etch on a
> 2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 kernel.

I use the same kernel (with a 2.6.18 Dom0, of course)

> My domU boots successfully and I can "xm console" into it only during
> boot and shutdown sequences, outside of these 2 timeframes, nothing
> happens when I issue the "xm console" command. My domU is fully
> functional, it's just the console that refuses to work as expected. I
> can ssh into it though, but I would like to have a 100% functional
> domU.

Sure sounds a lot like you are missing the proper line from /etc/inittab,
though I see you alrealdy tried it.  I can verify that

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1

makes xm console work for me with the same kernel as you use.

try looking through your dmesg for 'xen virtual console'

on mine I see
Xen virtual console successfully installed as tty1

and, of course, running a getty on tty1 makes it work.

Have you asked your hosting provider?