Re: problems with madwifi and Atheros AR5418

The ath9k in 2.6.27-rc5 is working famously for me on my Thinkpad T60
AR5418. I'm even creeping past 11g speeds (25MB/s on a good day). Here
are instructions for compiling the kernel in Debian:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_install_the_development_version_of_atk9k.
There is also someone on Ubuntu forums who has created a script to
compile the module for pre 2.6.27 kernels and stick it in a .deb
package for you. I have found this be compatible with Debian, though I
haven't tried out his latest version
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5535562&postcount=3.

I used to use madwifi and didn't experience the kind of problems you
speak of. I did however notice that somewhere along the way, there was
a regression that slowed down the connection by a non negligible
amount http://madwifi.org/ticket/2043. You might try downloading 3401
snapshot (I think you use the "-r 3401" as an argument to svn). I had
meant to pinpoint exactly when and where this regression occured, but
then ath9k came out and there was an exponential decay in my caring
coefficient.

Kevin