sound popping on powerbook DVI

Dear Debian-ers,
I've tried a few distributions of gnu Linux on my powerbook, and Debian is the best that I found. I'm now synced with the latest Lenny updates and it's working great. The only thing I had to configure manually was to put the line "snd-powermac" in /etc/modules to get sound to automatically work after booting. The problem is that sound often clicks. If I use the trackpad it clicks horribly in addition to the regular clicking. A usb mouse doesn't seem to aggravate the clicking. I've tried totem movie player and VLC. I've searched on google and this list's archives for a solution but haven't found a solution. I would definitely appreciate any help!
Thanks,
Jeff
PS this is my model:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/stats/powerbook_g4_800_dv i.html